As part of your regular dental exams, Dr. Carrie Sessom performs an oral cancer screening. Oral cancer can be life-threatening if not promptly diagnosed and treated, and as with all forms of cancer, early treatment greatly increased the likelihood of a successful treatment. Our practice uses the OralID screening light, which relies on fluorescent light technology, to identify and diagnose any abnormal tissues in your mouth as quickly as possible. To schedule your appointment with our dentist and learn more about oral cancer screening in Tulsa, Oklahoma, please contact Riverwalk Dental Spa + Sleep Apnea Solutions at 918-770-0027.
Oral cancer includes cancer of the lips, tongue, cheeks, throat, sinuses, hard palate, soft palate, and floor of the mouth. While oral cancer can almost always be treated successfully when detected early, many cases of this disease are not detected until it is in a more advanced and damaging stage of development. Our practice is dedicated to diagnosing oral cancer as early as possible to increase the chances of a successful treatment and help you regain your oral and overall health.
While our dentist and team will perform screenings at your dental checkups for signs of oral cancer, we strongly encourage you to be aware of your oral health and watch for symptoms of this disease. Common symptoms of oral cancer include:
- Persistent sore throat
- A feeling that something is caught at the back of the throat
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
- Unexplained loss of feeling, pain, or numbness in the face, neck, and mouth
- Persistent or lasting sores on the face, neck, or mouth – take special note if these wounds bleed easily and do not heal within two weeks of appearing
- Ear pain
- Lumps, bumps, or rough areas on your gums, lips, or other areas of the mouth
- Red, white, or speckled red and white patches in the mouth
- Changes in the way your teeth or dentures fit together
- Difficulty chewing, speaking, or swallowing
If you notice any of these symptoms, please contact our office. We will help you schedule your appointment with our dentist and check your mouth for oral cancer. We are committed to helping you stay in good health, and will do everything we can to help you regain a healthy mouth and smile.