Riverwalk Dental Spa is the number one referred to provider of sleep dentistry in Oklahoma. We offer an alternative for patients who suffer from snoring and sleep apnea in Jenks, Oklahoma, and surrounding areas. We offer an alternative to the traditional CPAP machine, which is oral appliance therapy. Our dentist and team are committed to helping you improve your oral and overall health. We invite you to call us at 918-392-7654 for more information about sleep dentistry and schedule your consultation with Dr. Carrie Sessom.
Riverwalk Dental Spa Sleep Medicine
While there are two main types of sleep apnea, Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) is the more common. OSA is a medical condition characterized by interruptions and pauses in breathing patters during sleep. These interruptions are often caused by airway obstructions, such as collapsed airway tissues or the tongue rolling back in the throat. They cause your sleep to be fragmented, and result in decreased oxygen levels in your body.
As OSA is a sleep-related disorder, it can be difficult to diagnose. Many people who suffer from sleep apnea are unaware that they have this disorder and that they are not actually getting a full night’s rest. Often, sleep apnea is first noticed by others who see their loved one sleeping and realize that something unusually is occurring with his or her sleeping patterns.
Symptoms of sleep apnea include:
- Nightly or near nightly snoring (especially loud snoring)
- Choking, gasping, or snorting sounds during sleep
- Gasping or choking sensations during sleep
- Excessive daytime drowsiness (hypersomnia) regardless of the number of hours slept
- Long pauses in breathing
- Abrupt awakenings during the night accompanied by shortness of breath
- Headaches upon waking
- Dry mouth or sore throat upon waking
- Frequent visits to the bathroom throughout the night
- Poor, fitful, or restless sleep
- Depression, irritability, or moodiness
- Feeling out of breath upon waking
- Memory impairment and difficulty focusing
Other sleep disorders may include insomnia, hypersomnia (daytime sleepiness), teeth grinding (bruxism), narcolepsy, snoring, and parasomnias. If you suspect you may have sleep apnea or another type of sleep disorder, please contact our office. Our skilled dentist and team are trained in treating sleep disorders, and will work with you to determine the best treatment to help you start sleeping peacefully again.
Video: patient experiencing sleep apnea.
Contact our office today to schedule your consultation and learn more about sleep apnea treatment in Jenks, Bixby, Broken Arrow, Glenpool, Owasso, Ponca City, Sand Springs, Sapulpa, and Tulsa, Oklahoma.